Monday, January 7, 2008

Victory belongs to the most persevering


Earlier this week I read my friends blog. She chose a word for the year that would guide her thinking and behavior. I thought this was such a good idea because I am not a very good goal setter. I am the type of person that makes little goals through out the year. But I have never been good at "New Year Resolutions".

Last year I had a phrase in which guided me and helped me through out the year. The phrase was "I can do hard things". It was amazing as I went through different experiences how I used that phrase. I remember when I went to Guatemala with my husband and he wanted me to climb the pyramids. I am deathly afraid of heights. I told him to go ahead and I would wait at the bottom. But to my surprise that phrase came into my mind as it had so many times that year. As I climbed the pyramid I kept repeating aloud "I can do hard things". When I reached the top my husband looked at me and said "I knew you could do hard things". I am also glad that I made it to the top it was an amazing experience. One that I never would have accomplished if it wasn't for my goal.

What I also began to realize is what is hard to me might not be hard for somebody else. But I knew I could do hard things. Now that the year has ended and I have reflected on some of those experinces it has been enlighting. Th e phrase now has just become a part of who I am. I don't have to say the phrase out loud anymore. It has become embedded in me.

Now this year instead of choosing a phrase I am choosing a word. (thanks to Jayne for the idea) The word I choose is perseverance. When I looked up the word in the dictionary the definition is steady persistance in a course of action, a purpose, a state, etc,. esp. in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement.

I would like to hear if other people choose a word for the year. I would love to hear your ideas. Some words that I have come across have been believe, courage, persistant, and faith.

Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Mariah said...

What wonderful thoughts! I love it. I have already decided this year is going to be defined by gratitude.

campbell said...

Mariah, I love that idea. I almost picked gratitude. I so want to do a gratitude journal.

Anonymous said...

I love it! When I was about your age, I heard the little phrase, Winners never quit, and quitters never win," and it's always stuck with me. It's so much easier to quit when the going gets rough sometimes, isn't it? And yet, we're taught to persevere, to endure to the end. I'm going to post your word on my blog...unless you beat me to it.

I like Mariah's word too. About 15 years ago, I started a gratitude journal, and it's AMAZING how it has changed my thinking. It has also served as a memory prompter for me, and I love going back and reading some of the things that were going on. I don't have a lot of time to sit and ponder and get all uptight about my spelling and punctuation, so what I do is list phrases or words.

Again, great word!

Valencia said...

I need to do this, too, Laresa. I think my word is just "love". My year was a little tough and I probably should've demonstrated love more and it would have been a little smoother. Have a great week.

Sherrie Mills Johnson said...

Beautiful thoughts. Thanks for sharing. I like the idea of "a word." I think mine will be two words "good courage." (See Joshua 1:9) By that I don't mean good bravery, but originally courage meant feelings or passions of the heart. So good courage means only the good feelings and passions of the heart. My goal is to only let the good feelings and passions into my heart.

Jack and Erika said...

Laresa: I loved this post. I started school last week and worked 25 hours. Jack has already worked 50 hours this week. I knew it would be stressful, but it's only been a week and I'm fighting to balance school, work, and marriage. Therefore, I'm adopting your phrase for the year. And I would love to go to the Rexburg temple whenever you can make it to Idaho. It's so beautiful, I can't wait to be sealed there! I hope your New Year is going well!!

Love,

Erika

Sherrie Mills Johnson said...

Right after I made that last comment I was doing some scripture study and found this quote. I thought you might like it:
"Perseverance means to continue in a given course until we have reached a goal or objective, regardless of obstacles, opposition, and other counterinfluences...Perseverance is a positive, active characteristic...It gives us hope by helping us realize that the righteous suffer no failure except in giving up and no longer trying."
--Joseph B. Wirthlin, "Never Give Up", Ensign, Nov. 1987, 8

campbell said...

Mom, that is so beautiful. That is why I love that you are my Mom. I am going to put that quote on my refrigerator.