I had to speak at church today on Mothers Day. While I had very mixed feelings about doing this I learned so much this week. I have had a very spiritual week. I used a talk by Pres. Faust in my talk that I think everyone should read "Message to My Granddaughters becoming Great Women". I also read a poem that somebody said I ought to post on my website to here is goes (kind of long but worth the read)
The Girl in a Whirl
By “Dr. Sue” aka Vickie Gunther
Look at me, look at me, look at me now!
You could do what I do if you only knew how.
I study the scriptures one hour each day;
I bake, I upholster, I scrub, and I pray.
I always keep all the commandments completely;
I speak to my little ones gently and sweetly.
I help in their classrooms! I sew all they wear!
I drive them to practice! I cut all their hair!
I memorize names of the General Authorities;
I focus on things to be done by priorities.
I play the piano! I bless with my talents!
My toilets all sparkle! My checkbooks all balance!
Each week every child gets a one-on-one date;
I attend all my meetings (on time! Never late!)
I’m taking a class on the teachings of Paul,
But that is not all! Oh, no. That is not all.
I track my bad habits ’til each is abolished;
Our t-shirts are ironed! My toenails are polished!
Our family home evenings are always delightful;
The lessons I give are both fun and insightful.
I do genealogy faithfully, too. It’s easy to do all the things that I do!
I rise each day early, refreshed and awake;
I know all the names of each youth in my stake!
I read to my children! I help all my neighbors!
I bless the community, too, with my labors.
I exercise and I cook menus gourmet;
My visiting teaching is done the first day!
(I also go do it for someone who missed hers.
It’s the least I can do for my cherished ward sisters.)
I chart resolutions and check off each goal;
I seek each “lost lamb” on my Primary roll.
I can home-grown produce each summer and fall.
But that is not all! Oh, no. That is not all.
I write in my journal! I sing in the choir!
Each day, I write “thank you’s” to those I admire.
My sons were all Eagles when they were fourteen!
My kids get straight A’s! And their bedrooms are clean!
I have a home business to help make some money;
I always look beautifully groomed for my honey.
I go to the temple at least once a week;
I change the car’s tires! I fix the sink’s leak!
I grind my own wheat and I bake all our bread;
I have all our meals planned out six months ahead.
I make sure I rotate our two-years’ supply;
My shopping for Christmas is done by July!
These things are not hard; It’s good if you do them;
You can if you try! Just set goals and pursue them!
It’s easy to do all the things that I do!
If you plan and work smart, you can do them all, too!
It’s easy!” she said…and then she dropped dead.
After this poem I said a quote from Pres. Faust's talk it says
"You cannot be a 100 percent wife, a 100 percent mother, a 100 percent church worker, a 100 percent career person, and a 100 percent public-service person at the same time. How can all of these roles be coordinated? Says Sarah Davidson: “The only answer I come up with is that you can have it sequentially. At one stage you may emphasize career, and at another marriage and nurturing young children, and at any point you will be aware of what is missing. If you are lucky, you will be able to fit everything in.”
I learned more from this talk than anyone. It is fantastic being MOM! I love being a MOM!
Count It All Joy!
11 years ago

6 comments:
I'm sorry I missed your talk, I've missed you so much. We went to church with my mom. Thanks for sharing/posting parts of your talk - I loved reading it. I love this poem, whew, it made me tired! Ha! Happy Mother's Day and I hope to see you soon. Love your haircut in this photo, too!
I love this poem Laresa!
thanks so much for sharing it.
you are such a loving and genuine person. Happy (be-lated) Mother's Day!
Loved your talk. You always do so well with that. Hope you had a great mothers day.
I really want you to know that I put this comment on my blog about my talk as a reminder to me that I need to remind myself everyday to hang in there as a Mom. I love the quote "Homemaking is whatever you make it". Somedays I am just trying to make it. Thanks for the nice comments.
I LOVE your picture Laresa!! You look great! And those quotes and poems are something that I needed to read today :) Thanks for posting!
Great photo! You look so happy. I really enjoyed your talk Sunday, and so did Mrs. Crolley. I've been in her company a lot this week so far, and I bet she's told five or six people that we had some great talks in Sacrament Sunday. And she's right...we did.
That poem is priceless. I'm going to make sure that my daughter Carrie reads it because she earnestly tries to do it all and then gets frustrated and tired. I think I told you how much I enjoyed Zach's reaction to it, right? He was really enjoying it.
Post a Comment