Thursday, October 11, 2007

Luke Needs Glasses

*Note: These are not his new glasses

Luke has been going cross-eyed on us and we have been worrying about his eye sight. I took him in to the Dr. the other day and he is really farsighted. The reason why he is going cross-eyed is because it is so hard for his eyes to focus that they start to cross. The Dr. gave me a prescription and told me to come back in 2 months and see if that works. If his eyes are still bad then he will need to add bifocals to his lenses. Then after 2 months if that doesn't work then he will need surgery. I couldn't believe all the testing they had to do to his eyes. My older boys wondered how they tested his eyes without him being able to read a chart. But they have amazing technology now. Also they had to dialate his eyes and he didn't like that at all. But he was a good sport so we got his prescription and went to try to find some frames. Well, we still haven't found any because I can't find a place that makes them small enough and takes our insurance. So Friday we are on the road again ready to look for some frames for this guy. Hopefully he won't break them in the first week. The Dr. told me that once they realize they don't have to work as hard to see then they leave their glasses on. The sweetest thing that happened to me that whole day was a story I want to share with you.
After looking at frames for awhile, I was tired and Luke was tired so we decided to go get some ice cream. The lady that was helping us asked me if something was a matter with Luke's eyes. I told her as a matter of fact there was something a matter and that we had just got back from teh eye doctor. This is the first time a stranger has said anything to me about Luke's eyes so I was kind of taken back. Normally I would have just dismissed her comment and walked away but I decided to listen to her. She told me that she was sorry she didn't mean anything by it but she went on to tell me that when her boy was about Luke's age he had the same problem. She told me that he needed glasses and that he didn't even need surgery. She told me not to worry and that everything would be fine.
Wow, I thought, what a nice random lady and how thankful I was that I listened to what she had to say. I felt like that day it was truly through Another person that our prayers are answered. The funny thing is the next day I saw the nurse that works in the eye doctors office and she told me that after I left he was really worried about Luke. I just looked at her and said "He is going to be fine, and then I shared my story with her".

1 comments:

Jayne said...

At first, I was thinking how thoughtless this woman was, but then I was gratified to learn that she actually helped you and Luke with her comments. I like your "take" on this...that it was a way of prayers being answered.