Friday, June 13, 2008

Called to Serve


Just before Zachary opened his mission call. Funny story why we are all wet, I will explain below.


Zachary Campbell you are called to serve in the Arizona Tempe mission. Reporting to the MTC on Sept. 17th.


He was so excited he just kept looking at his call and not at me.

Thursday June 12th will be remembered forever in the Campbell household. Not only that Zachary received his call but how we had to get it to him. Zachary is working at a local Boy Scout Camp this summer. It is about 1 1/2 hours away from where we live. We all decided to pile up the car and take the whole family to the camp. We did not call Zachary ahead we decided to surprise him. We did call his friend and tell him that we were coming so that we knew that he wasn't working.
When we went to the camp we parked and took a long trek to the office. Then as Boyd walked in to ask where Zachary was staying they thought he was there to camp. The guy made a comment how our little family could be a little church youth group. I forgot just how much our family looks like a Boy Scout Troop. A scout leader finally directed us to where Zachary was staying. It was about 1/4 mile walk and then when we got there we couldn't find him. Some of the staff members said that he had got hurt and was in the nurses station. The nurses station was back where we started from right by the office. So we hiked all the way back and walked into the nurses station to find out it wasn't our Zachary but a different Zachary. Then we started back the long hike again to his camp spot. When we started walking back it was down-pouring rain. It couldn't have been worse timing. It was almost comical. I had my sandals on which wasn't a good idea and then I had his call in my hand which was getting soaked. I tried to cover it with clothing. Samuel and I were picked up by somebody in a golf cart who took us to shelter. By then my whole family was seperated. Samuel and I stood under a pavillion not knowing where any of my family was at the time. I knew they had all run for safety but wasn't sure where they were. I saw Alex and Nate standing at a cabin close by. We waited under the shelter until the rain passed. For me it seemed like an eternity because I just wanted to find my son, Zachary. Finally Alex motioned to me that he had found Zachary. Samuel and I ran to find him and we gathered under the picnic table to take our picture just before Zachary got his mission call. That is why we all look so wet. It was neat to have Alex there with us too. He was leaving the next morning to go to Philmont Boy Scout Camp for two weeks. I am so glad that we were there all together as a family. Because it is a night we will never forget as a family.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

scchesleys said...

Congrats on the call! He'll be a great missionary.

Alona said...

A neat story you will always rememeber. Congrats on the mission call. My brother Loved his Tempe Arizonia Mission. I know Zach will too. He will do a great job!

campbell said...

I just talked to my friend last night that lives in Arizona. In fact I went to High School with her and then we became even closer after we were married. We had babies at the same time. She ended up moving to Arizona and I moved to California. Through the years we have stayed in touch. She is in Zachary's missions. In fact her husband is ward mission leader and he said there is a shortage of missioanries. They need missionaries now. I am excited for Zachary it sounds like a great mission.. Laresa

Connie said...

I was close, I said Texas on the facebook thingy! Best Wishes to all. There always seems to be delays when you are trying to gather to share something great!

Anonymous said...

This is such an emotional story for another M.O.M. (Mother of Missionary) to read. I well remember the day that Paul's mission call came in the mail. He was living in Myrtle Beach in an apartment with his sister, and I had moved to Camden. The letter came to their post office box, so Elizabeth picked it up and took it to work with her. When she called him, he immediately left work and drove to Conway where she was. When he called me, I said, "Don't tell me yet. Wait until I get back to Camden and am seated on the front porch, a place that was dear and dear to our family...a sacred place." Anyway, when he read it to me, I was overcome. My son in Mexico????

This is going to be such a wonderful experience for Zachary and his entire family. He's a sterling example of what a young man should be, and I know he's going to be a positive influence on all the people he meets.

Valencia said...

Congrats to your family, especially Zachary. He'll be a great missionary and what a family story he'll always remember about the day he got his call. I'm very happy for you all.